The NZSIS is responsible for:
- obtaining, correlating and evaluating intelligence relevant to security (this includes collecting and assessing domestically focused security intelligence and the provision of foreign intelligence reports to meet New Zealand’s foreign intelligence requirements)
- communicating it to those that the Director considers appropriate, in the interests of security
- advising the Government about matters relevant to security
- co-operating with other organisations in New Zealand and abroad that can assist the Service to carry out its job
- making recommendations relevant to security relating to immigration and citizenship matters
- conducting enquiries and making recommendations as to whether particular individuals should be granted security clearances, and
- giving advice on protective measures relevant to security.